Sunday, August 18, 2013

Cabin 2013 part 2

After we got them clean, we made the messiest meal ever and they got all dirty again, but it was cute.

Our next hike took us over the dam and around the lake. This was our only off road hike. Most of the trip was spent frogging and we began catching our frogs right away. I am not sure why Josh decided he likes frogs so much because in the past he wouldn't hold them at all, but this year he couldn't get enough. The only time that he would turn down holding a frog was if someone else had a bigger frog to hold.


We got some different views of the lake and a very interesting face from Olivia.


Rocks were a close third to frogs and horned toads. Josh and Olivia were always finding "cool rocks". On each hike Josh would come home with mounds of rocks in his pockets, weighing him down and pulling his pants off.


One of my favorite pictures:


And of course we spent a lot of time in the official "frogging area".

The next morning my hair was driving me crazy. I adore my haircut when I am at home and able to use a straightener but when there is no electricity...I couldn't manage it. So Chantelle says, "I will do your hair really crazy". So of course I said yes, and then Josh had to get his done and if Josh does it, Olivia has to as well.


With our hair done the same way it is crazy how much Josh and I look alike so we took pictures to prove it.


And with Olivia


Even baby Daphne got in on the action.


And since the lighting wasn't half bad and we were all done up and we were already in a photo frenzy, we took more!


After we had our photo frenzy, we hiked down the the lower lake. I didn't bring my camera because it looked like rain but I wish I had. My brothers and sisters will understand this: this year, the lower lake was as alive with frogs as the frogging area when we were little. You take a step and the grass hops away from you. Each step upsets at least 10 small frogs. The frogging was mildly intoxicating and we were laughing and yelling and stomping around. Nothing makes you forget you are an adult as a good frogging area. The kids tried a little but mostly cheered us on. We made bets who could catch more or the biggest. The kids were running from adult to adult holding frogs, letting them go. Josh would run to me only to have Jeremy yell, "I got a big one" then ditch me for Jeremy with a look like, "Actually, no, I don't want to hold your pathetic tiny frog." Chantelle was my frog wing man even though she had the front pack on with Daphne. Teamwork is best with frogging. It took us well over an hour, maybe two, to make it 3/4 of the way down ONE side of the lake. I wish we had one of the five gallon buckets with us. I remember as kids frogging like that and putting all the frogs in a 5 gallon bucket. We would put our arms into the bucket and feel the little feet of 50 frogs bouncing against us. And the release was always pretty epic. We had a blast.

We had such a good time together. I love sharing this with my son. And to end, here are just some cute pictures of Daphne!

No comments:

Post a Comment