Thursday, January 1, 2015

Where did the year go?

So I never even finished writing about my awesome Hawaii trip.  I had been waiting for my husband to bring me a flash drive with more pictures but when he finally did I was so busy with my new job that I never got to it and the later it got...well, you know how it goes.  I hope to finish those later but for now I think I need to play catch up.

I got a job in Holladay at a care center.  People (usually older adults) come after a hospital stay following surgery or an accident if they are unable to return home.  I help them get stronger, learn to perform their daily activities more independently, learn to live with any new parameters (weight bearing status, motion restrictions, etc), and essentially return to their prior living environment safely and with the same level of independence as before.  I love it.  There is nothing more satisfying than helping someone get back home.

Since Tyler and I are both working in the SLC area we decided to move to cut down on commute.  We found a place we love, it is just a rental but it feels like home. It has been really fun to do our own thing and set up the house the way we want.  I will have to take some pictures.  It was amazing to see how everyone dealt with the move.  My son took it so well I couldn't believe it, no issues going to a new school, to daycare, or sleeping in a new room.  My husband made a 180 again (he is always doing this to me in different areas of life).  I would come home after work and think, "What happened to the house?!  It looks so clean!"  He has been so wonderful about cleaning up after everyone and helping me out without any nagging.  Not that he was terrible before but to do this of his own accord and so consistently...it has been great.  He has also changed in his relationship with Josh.

One day he had a conversation with Josh about how if Josh had a specific name for him he would know Josh was talking to him (Josh has always called him "Mom" which is my name or "Mama" which is grandma's name.  To be fair this is what Josh calls everyone because he can't say anything else).  I heard Josh practicing his "D" sounds and within a week or two he was saying "Da" to refer to Tyler regularly.  Josh now asks when he is coming home, if we can call him when he is at work, asks to sit next to him, ride in the car with him, and celebrates when he gets home.  And Tyler is reciprocating with spending more fun time together and taking on more Josh responsibilities.

I will try to write a Halloween post later with pictures.

This Christmas was fun.  I loved putting up my tree for the first time.  It is a white tree and I have black, dark grey, silver, and red ornaments.
We went to the holiday party for the Boys and Girls Club.  Josh picked the only empty table to eat at.  A woman joined us and I found out she was "the helpers" wife.  So I schemed with her.  Josh still requires me to be an interpreter much of the time.  Santa can be a hard one.  Josh wants to be a big kid but he is nervous about trying to get his point across with signs and gestures and, honestly, I don't think any Santa would be able to figure out what he is saying (Josh is smart like that, he knows when he needs me and when he can do it himself).  So I have to come up with him and he never gets his moment with Santa like other kids do.  When I refused to come up to Santa with him Josh was reluctant until Santa greeted him with, "Hello there, Josh!"  Josh was stunned.  He sat on Santa's lap with wide-eyed disbelief.  "Let me see...I believe you want a Tiger Claw action figure, is that right?"  Josh did the perfect Home Alone face and loudly whispered, "MOM!" then nodded at Santa.  It was a perfect Miracle on 34th St moment.

I was totally spoiled this Christmas.  Tyler and I had agreed to keep it a practical Christmas and not spend much on each other.  As time went on, I realized that Tyler may not be following the plan completely.  On Christmas morning it was obvious that there was a "special present".  Now you must understand these two things, I DO NOT want a smart phone and my husband is well aware of this although he thinks I need one and I have wanted a B7 Audi wagon since they came out.   This is what happened.  My husband knows as much as I love this car I would never buy one because I tend to be too practical.  A beater car works just fine and I don't need a nice one, yadda yadda.  That being said, I LOVE this car.  I now find myself thinking the exact words I have heard my husband say for years.  I look back at it as I leave and miss it.  I think about it during the day and wonder when I will drive again.  I worry about where I park.  I think that speed limits shouldn't apply to cars that want to go faster.  I want to drive people places.  It has been great.  Also, my husband did a great job with doing the work on the car himself and getting it for a great deal so even my sensibilities are not offended.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, you and your little family make me so happy. Thank you for blogging again!

    ReplyDelete