Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Cabins!!



I love our cabin. My sister once wrote an essay about them, she said that the air smelled like freedom. I always think of that as we make our way into the canyon. As we get closer the air changes. It isn't just the pine trees or the lake or the wild mint....it is freedom. Freedom from cares, phones, staring strangers. Freedom from make up, from feeling self conscious, from being ruled by the clock. This year was no different.

I am so happy to have my family. I can imagine some people going nuts at our cabin. There is only one bedroom, a largeish open family room/dining room/front room, two bathrooms and a loft. Getting away from each other is impossible. I love that there are no electronics to get in the way of us enjoying each other. In the last week I read 4 books, played countless games, went on some breath taking walks/hikes, caught one snake, and ate without worrying about calories.

I loved every moment and I am tempted to give everyone a play by play but since you would all stop reading here are the most important parts:

Best book read: Hunger Games. Seriously couldn't put it down or stop thinking about it. I am still thinking about it. Basic idea, 24 kids from ages 12-18 are put into a huge arena to fight to the death. Only one can live. Whole country forced to watch and treat it like a holiday. Characters you love and situations you can't get to leave your mind. Loved it, can't wait to read more from this author.

Most Ironic Photo:
This is the spot we like to call the "Litter bowl" or the Dump. One of my uncles has used it for his own personal dumping spot for ages (he is now 92 so it has been some time). We go to remind ourselves of what could happen and how beauty can be changed into sadness if we just dump our stuff anywhere. Sure enough the top layer was new this year and right on the edge of the bowl was a book: American Dreams.

Favorite moment: We were walking home from the dump when it started to rain. The sun was shining brightly, the air was warm and the rain... I can't remember the last time I just experienced rain. Felt it hit my skin and roll down. Allowed myself to fully live the rain without worrying about my make up or hair or Josh (he doesn't like to play in rain yet but he was @ the cabin with my mom). As I smelled and felt and tasted the rain, I watched as Paxton went bounding through the grass toward the cabin. The grass was as high as his hips, the sun glinted off the rain so he was just a shadow, rain so thick you could barely make out scenery behind him. Suddenly he was going down, his feet flew over him and then he was gone, all that was left was grass, rain and his laughter.

Best Game: I taught Trevor, Christina and Paxton how to play ERS. SO MUCH FUN!
I hope they will keep playing and love this game as much as I do.

I don't know what category this would go under but it was so cute I have tell you. I went into the bedroom for my book when I heard something. Someone was singing in the shower. I could hear Paxton's voice above the water,
"I love the mountains
I love the rolling hills
I love the flowers
I love the daffodils
I love the fireside
When all the lights are low
Boom-dee-a-da, boom-dee-a-da, boom-dee-a-da, boom-dee a da..."

I couldn't agree more Paxton.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds AMAZING! Looks like you all had a great time! There is really nothing better than having a place to go and get away from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am flattered- and slightly teary- that you not only remembered that I wrote an essay but you also remembered WHAT I wrote. I wish I could have been there because I need the smell and feel of freedom right now. I'm glad you had a great time... And I would have been willing to read a minute-by-minute account but that's probably because I'm your sister. :)

    ReplyDelete