Thursday, July 1, 2010

Freedom Riders!

Freedom Riders is a program for children with disabilities to ride horses. I have been trying to get Josh a place in it for a year. The problem is that once a kid is in he is in until he either turns 18, moves away or passes away. Most of the kids right now are between 7 and 13. So I was going to have to wait at least a few years. Chantelle, Jeremy and Christina all volunteer for them.
If you know Chantelle, you know she has the knack for knowing just the right time for everything. If I am having a bad day (even when no one knows) Chantelle calls. If I am trying solve a transportation problem, Chantelle shows up. And now she came through again.
Patty (woman in charge) says that she had just decided to give up on this boy who was supposed to be coming. He had not shown up all summer and none of her calls had been returned. Patty had just decided that she would replace him next year when Chantelle asked yet again about Josh joining. So Josh got in.
So how do I get there you might ask? I don't have a car. No, but Chantelle comes through again. She and Jeremy go separately. She brings me and Josh and then allows us to drive her car home. She is pretty much the best. I love her.
So today was Josh's first day. I was nervous. He had to get on a huge animal without me. He was not sure about it at first. They had to pry his arms from around Chantelle to get him on the saddle. He cried at first but as soon as they began walking he smiled. He was so proud of himself. He held the reigns, he waved, he threw the bean bags when told. Half an hour has never passed so fast.
I have a million things to say about Freedom Riders so I am sure I will write more another time. This is going to be such a good thing for Josh's independence. Thanks Chantelle.

1 comment: