Friday, December 21, 2012

Josh's first real performance!

So you know how I posted about teaching Josh to enhance his talents using Mr. Bean? Well phase two is complete. And sadly, no, it does not have to do with Mr. Bean.

It all began with Josh's love for the Dr. Seuss classic, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". Last year he made me read it just about every day between Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year we began a little before Thanksgiving but did not read it EVERY day...just a lot. Now you are thinking, "So what? Sounds pretty normal to me". Well it doesn't end there. While at the Zoo Lights the first week of December we saw the Grinch. They had the best Grinch I have seen in real life. He talked like the Jim Carrey version, looked spectacular, and had the attitude down pat. Josh loved it. He wouldn't get closer than 5 feet from the guy, but he loved it. After someone wished him a Merry Christmas and the Grinch was yelling some not so nice things back, I turned to Josh and said, "The Grinch doesn't like Christmas. Why was that?" not thinking that I would get an answer. Josh pointed to his feet. Holy crap. That is right. His shoes were too tight. Then he circled his head. And his head wasn't screwed on just right! I was shocked. I mean, yes, we have read this book a lot but still...he remembered.

I began tossing around the idea of performing the Grinch with Josh. I asked him if he would want to and he said yes. It began with me reading the book with a lot of expression while he copied me. In a day or two I had it fully memorized (not hard because it rhymes and we all know the story pretty well) and so we began adding some movement and props. Within a week we had most of it down. The next week we watched the Jim Carrey version movie. We also looked up pictures on the internet. I would show him the picture and recite the part of the book that coincides with it and then he would try to replicate the face being made. I recited the book in front of the bathroom mirror with him standing on the sink both of us making the proper faces at the proper times so he could see what it looked like. We talked about whether the Grinch was happy or sad at certain parts. If he was good or bad. And mostly, we practiced. At least once a day. Josh even had us take the props to his OT appointment and we did it in the waiting room.

I knew I had to get us a venue. He was taking it so seriously! We had to perform it for a real audience. I made a few calls and next thing I knew we are going to perform it for a church party the next day. I told him and he was so excited. I was a little worried though. Would he do it? We bought green hair spray and figured out his costume and last minute props (like his small and big heart). We were only able to practice with these last minute props one time that night.

That night I set up the props and showed him where everything was. This chair is the sleigh, this chair is the rooftop, here is the fireplace, etc. I was still nervous. Would he do it? Then it was our turn. He walked up to the stage with me like it was nothing. He did the facial expressions, he used the props, he remembered his actions and where everything was. And his one line (And his fib fooled the child and he patted her head, and he got her a drink, and he sent her to bed. "Go!") although whispered was heard by the audience who laughed with delight. He was amazing. Stupendous! A natural. I was (and am) ridiculously proud.

No, I didn't get a video of it. I should have. He will perform it for my family at our party and on Christmas for Tyler's family so I may get it then. But you will have to trust me, he makes a great Grinch.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! You have to get a video-I really want to see it!

    ReplyDelete