Saturday, April 21, 2012

That's real love

Setting: Josh is 5. I have been stressed to the max and had a very upsetting day. I am sitting on the floor crying. Ugly crying. The type of cry that makes every orifice in your face drip. Josh comes in and sits on my lap facing me. He holds my head in both hands and raises my face so he can look at me. With more concern and love in his eyes than I have ever seen he moves one of his hands to brush away one of my tears. In doing this, he gets more than he bargained for and ends up with a string of my snot going from my nose to his hand. Without skipping a beat, he wipes my nose with his finger and thumb and then rubs it on his pants (a move I often use with him when he cries). He then pulls my head into his chest in a big hug. I can't ever remember seeing my mother cry when I was young. Some days I worry that he has seen me cry too often. A possible bad mother move on my part. But either way, I am so proud that my little boy can show so much love and concern to a person. When you are willing to use your own hand as a make-shift hankie, that is real love.

3 comments:

  1. Awwwww now I've got happy tears! I sure love that kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I upvote this post so it stays on the front page forever? I guess that only works on Reddit. I love you and I love your son!
    I cried as well, both for how sweet he is and for how I cannot do anything to help your tears. Just remember that someone in St. Louis- or wherever I go- will always love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have taught him well. children show what they know!! if there were more people like josh, this would be such an incredible life experience.

    ReplyDelete