Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Behavior

I am happy to report that the Behaviorist is a miracle worker! After a few short months, she took what was once a nightmare and is turning it around. Getting ready for the day and for bed are no longer chores. Josh does them almost without complaint and with very little problems (although he still does bite his toothbrush so I can't brush his teeth and will occasionally refuse to put his clothes on). All of this was accomplished using an alarm on my phone, a written routine on his ipad, and the piece de resistance: reading one book at the beginning of the routine. That's it! That one book settles him down and gets him in the bedtime/getting ready mode. It focuses him. Amazing. It is like night and day I tell you. Now we just need to work on going to stores. Sadly, although he is doing better at home, it sounds like he is doing worse in school. He has had 2 accidents in the past 2 days, calls my name, and needs extra hugs and reassurances from the teachers. :( Luckily I was able to call his behaviorist today and begin working on these things to help him out. I am so blessed to have so much help. I know he misses his mommy but with guidance and help I know we can make it through this.

1 comment:

  1. I love Josh! I have got to see him so much lately with my little Josh being in his class now. I have been to the school almost daily teaching things about his meds and feeding pump...ect. Josh always smiles at me and he is looking so grown up! I am glad you are getting some help with the things going on. That always makes a huge difference. You will make it through this..... it just sucks when you are struggling with behaviors... I know! Good luck and if you need anything, let me know!

    ReplyDelete